Retirement Plan Consulting
Creating a Competitive Advantage
To recruit, retain and reward talented employees, employers must offer attractive benefits. Providing valuable benefits differentiates you as an employer in the community and gives you a competitive advantage. SHDR helps employers of all sizes and industries design cost effective solutions for providing competitive retirement benefits while managing financial exposure.
Taking a Holistic Approach
As a plan sponsor, you must balance recruiting goals and employee expectations with your financial and legal responsibilities. Your SHDR consultant helps you address your responsibilities, prepare for long-term financial obligations and ensure plan compliance. We take a holistic approach — coordinating benefits, funding and investment policies and managing fiduciary and investment risks.
Planning for retirement has changed dramatically for Americans in the last 20 years. Still, many people rely on their employers to help them with the process and to make it as straightforward as possible. For employers, the objective is to find a solution that meets their employees' needs, keeps expenses under control and is easy to manage.
SHDR can provide solutions tailored specifically for your organization. Our expert consultants guide you every step of the way — from needs analysis to choosing an investment strategy. Services offered include:
- Comprehensive plan design
- Profit-sharing plans
- Defined benefit plans
- Supplemental executive retirement plans
- Cash balance and retirement shares plans
- Open-architecture for mutual fund options
- Automatic enrollment features
- Development of robust investment and funding policy statements
- Flexible plan documents
Defined benefit pension plans are a valued benefit for your long-service employees. SHDR works with you to develop a comprehensive solution for retirement security that provides employees with the following benefits:
- Guaranteed retirement income, generally, at no cost to the employee
- Pay-related benefits that offset the effects of inflation
- Real-time access to benefits information online
- Customized education and retirement planning information
- Portability of vested benefits, if they leave your organization
As a plan sponsor, you must balance the desire to provide attractive benefits with the management of investment risk and financial obligations. SHDR helps you develop a comprehensive approach to satisfy your financial commitments, while fulfilling company fiscal needs. Our expert consultants use the following process:
- Analyze client needs and risk tolerance
- Identify appropriate benefits, investment and funding strategies
- Implement strategies
- Monitor and evaluate performance
- Proactively reassess solutions and strategies
Few benefits are as attractive to talented employees as a 401(k) plan. Participants are primarily responsible for funding their 401(k) plans by making pretax contributions to their own accounts. As an employer, you have the option to match a portion of their contributions with your own tax-deductible contributions.
One advantage 401(k) plans offer is flexibility in design and operation. You determine the investment options, eligibility requirements and automatic contribution arrangements.
SHDR works with you to develop a plan that provides employees with the following benefits:
- Convenient payroll deductions invested on a pretax basis
- Automatic enrollment and contribution arrangements
- Earnings that grow tax-deferred until distributions are taken
- Real-time access to accounts online or by phone
- Attractive selection of suitable investment options
- Customized education and enrollment programs
- Portability of vested savings if they leave your organization
- Investment advice
Competition for top managers is fierce. In many instances, even a generous annual salary isn't enough to attract key senior talent. Our benefit professionals understand the level of commitment an organization must make to its principal managers. SHDR offers a wide range of benefit programs to reward highly compensated employees.
Often, attractive candidates for executive positions look for benefits that address their individual concerns. Executive compensation plans can be tailored to meet your company specifications as well as the individual employee needs. Plans may include nonqualified retirement supplements to offset IRS limitations, insurance benefits and cash and equity-related incentive programs.
Your SHDR consultant will help you develop a winning total compensation plan built on the following:
- Executive retirement supplements
- Mirror 401(k) supplements
- Group term carve-outs or supplements
- Incentive plans
- Company owned insurance coverage
- Disability coverage
SHDR helps you complete a merger or acquisition (M&A) by providing benefit solutions. We begin with an analysis of an M&A candidate, including an evaluation and comparison of benefit plans. We then provide an overview of all issues that are likely to arise including hidden liabilities and areas of noncompliance.
After decisions are made, including which benefit to terminate, freeze, modify or continue, we work with you to implement those decisions and to address outstanding items. SHDR provides additional consulting services that may be needed for an M&A such as actuarial or technical consulting. We can also help you prepare for a sale and can assist in the analysis needed for negotiations.
Our merger and acquisition services include:
- Analysis of potential M&A candidates
- Due diligence to uncover hidden liabilities
- Administration of acquisitions — implementation of benefit decisions
- Provision of actuarial and administrative services on an interim basis